Sunday, April 11, 2010

Steel wire V.S. oxidized Copper

I love black wire, and have been interested in how to make my wire change colors with oxidizing.  For a long time I could only find nasty steel wire, and great copper wire.  But copper wire of coarse is not black.  The bead stores here only carry the real shiny black wire and its not quite the look I have been looking for.

Recently I went to OSH and found this really nice black steel wire in 2 different sizes.  It worked great to do some wire wrapping but it left my hand black...nasty smelling too!  So I used Allergy Jewelry Shield to seal the wire.  I am sure there are other types of sealers I could use but it was handy and it worked.  I like the look of the wire, its not too shiny and the black does not rub off now.

Now, I finally got my Liver of Sulfur and played with it a little today to see what it does.  I have done lots of hunting on line to learn about this product.  I do agree that it stinks but it works...  I tried eggs and I wasnt impressed. I took a picture of both items to show you the difference.  I have not put on any of the Jewelry Sheild yet on the oxidized copper so it is dull.  I like both wires.  Copper is easy to find, and now for me steel is too.  Both are fairly easy to work with, and you really should seal both wires once you get the affect you want.

I still need...notice I used the word NEED...LOL...to explore more with oxidizing copper.

As you can see here, they look quite similar.  I think the oxidized copper is a better look myself, and copper is more user friendly.  You can solder it, where as steel you can not.  So it all depends on what your goal is.  For just doing wire wrapping, it may be cheaper and easier to use the steel wire.  But to be more creative, go with the copper and deal with the stink of the Liver of Sulfur.  I dont think it was all that bad.  Less smelly than resin...hehehehe...I hope you like this comparison and let me know if it helps you any at all....

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You know, I really like copper, it's so verstitle and easy to use, I can't imagine liking a metal more for art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, you are so right! There is more to wire that meets the eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copper is so great and versatile. It's cheap enough to experiment with and make great salable jewelry too. Looks like you are having fun with your experiments.
    Lots of luck.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gkon, I appreciate your kind words. I dont spend as much time as I wish I could right now on my blog, but I do try to provide interesting content..I do have a few fun projects I am working on and hope to share them before the summer ends. THANKS,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was interesting to read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, very good =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy. Very cool blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding post, I conceive website owners should acquire a lot from this web site its really user pleasant. So much great information on here

    ReplyDelete

  9. Asking questions are actually fastidious thing if you are not understanding something totally, except this post offers nice understanding yet.

    ReplyDelete

  10. I think I really appreciate the basics of what you have here in this blog.

    ReplyDelete

  11. I simply wanted to send a quick comment to be able to express gratitude to you for some of the wonderful solutions you are posting here.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR STOPPIN BY!