Friday, May 09, 2014

8th Bead Soup Reveal - UPDATED

Wow...another soup has been created and ready to show off.

Lori Anderson has done it again with an amazing blog hop with some very talented jewelry designers.

I am so very thankful for my partner Christine for all the amazing beads she sent me.  Christine has 4 young men and really enjoys spending time with them.  She told me she now sells her jewelry in 5 local shops where she lives.  I am sure that keeps her quite busy... She loves vintage and creates many of her pieces with that old antique look and feel. I love the stuff, but really have not ventured into this area with jewelry making.  So this was a bit of a challenge for me at first.  I did some drawings, some I liked and some I didn't..  If you want to take a peek at the soup she gave me before I created the designs out of them, you can find them here.

So, here is my first creation...  I think I am going to redo this piece.  I am not totally happy with it.  I love LOVE the pendent and the leaf below it..which was made by Jeannie K Dukic of JKD Studio. I drilled two more holes in it so I could put the leaf below it.  I know I can do better with this pendent, but for some reason, I didn't have the vision.  You know how it goes when you don't have the visual idea in your head...  It will get there eventually...the AH HA moment...
As you see, the pendent is beautiful and the leaf is perfect for the pendent.
I really do like how this part of the necklace turned out.
I decided to use the wooden beads, but it makes the necklace really light in weight. I used wire, perhaps that is why I am not totally in love with the necklace.  I thought the wire would be a good mix, but I think that may be the problem...  I do like the sari silk and that I added the seed beads to it to spice it up some...

UPDATED NECKLACE
Ok, So I did something a little different...I thought I would try using these fun backgrounds I got from GraphicsStock.  Let me know what you think of the updated necklace. I took off the wire and used some nice heavy CLon thread and strung on the beads.  I made some bead caps with the really pretty drop beads.  I wanted to use them and just couldn't figure out what I was going to make with them.  So finally the light came on with this necklace.  I think its much better, fits nicer and has a little more pizzazz. I made a beaded bead using the same drop beads and put it in between the beads on the left side.  I also added more of the sari silk knots and beaded those up too.  I am now happy with the results.
This may not look a whole lot different, but believe me, its much nicer...

Close up of beaded  bead...this was not an easy to make bead...it looks nice, but what a challenge...I used right angle weave to make a cube, then beaded the drop beads in between each side. 
These fun bead caps were very easy to make...I just made a simple ring with seed beads then went back around and added to drop beads. I considered making them for both ends of the beads but then they didn't hang right on the coin beads.


For the second piece, it took me some time to figure this one out, but when the idea hit...it hit in full speed!
I just took this picture today. Natural lighting is always better to show off the true colors...I think it shows off the necklace a lot better.  You can really see the two different chains I used and all the beautiful beads... Christine has a good eye for bead soups...  :-)
Love this necklace.... I used two types of leaf chains, one which Christine gave me and one I have had for a long time and I guess I was waiting for the right time to use it.
I wire wrapped the beads onto the chain.  Used the large green magnetite bead for the end bead.  This gives it the nice balance in weight.
I found this ribbon at Sams Club which was on clearance from Easter...I love clearance stuff...who doesn't?  SO, I cut it up and made a kumihimo braid out of it for the back half of the necklace... Glued the ends and added the caps and wire...  The kumihimo braid is a bit thick but I think it fits this piece rather well.  If it was thinner, I think it would not have felt right when its worn..

Look at this awesome clasp!  I love it...  At first I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, I don't usually use large clasps... then as I was browsing through some magazines...that...OH YEA...now I know what I am going to do...I wanted to make a lariat.  I have never made one before and it was time I did!  I laid out the beads and chain and got to work.  First though I had to attach the clasp.  It weighs down the necklace enough that it fits nicely.  The large bead fit perfectly through the hole of the clasp so I knew this was going to work for what I had in my head...  :-)

See how pretty this looks...
The colors were a perfect match for me.  You know how you can have that mental block on certain colors...well, I get that with certain colors of beads...guess I need to get past that some day...LOL
I know I know...the colors of the bead look slightly different..Well, I had to use my older camera to take the pic...so it didn't quite make the lime green pop...they are beautiful beads...
YUM!

Ok, I think you are really going to love this next piece... I am not sure if its my favorite or if the necklace is my favorite...but its quite yummy..
Now this is probably the toughest design I came up with.  Not that it was hard to make, it was more like...what the heck do I do with those amazing antique buttons!!!  I wanted so bad to put them in the right place in the design and to have them pop out somehow.  This was my biggest challenge I think.  It was the last piece I made.  First I made the bracelet...I love it...I love how it fits but...it was a tad loose.  So, I had to do some brain storming and finally I decided to use the sari silk.  Well... I didn't want it to be attached to the bracelet so I then remembered in the back of my head how one of the FB members made these great leather clasps with snaps. (Jean Campbell???)..well, mine are not as pretty, but I think the set turned out ok after 2 attempts...I used heavy gauge wire for the connection parts...the j hook and the end it hooks on.  I need to take a better picture so you can see what I mean...  :-)

See the beautiful pendent...its a vintage button glued onto a filigree backing...LOVE..
I used a flower chain I had received from ZnetShows which I took apart and re-attached. I wire wrapped the vintage diamond buttons into the center of the larger metal flower, then attached the smaller flower to the bottom of the larger flower.
I attached the small leaf beads to a ring and then put it in-between the beads.
Here is another view of the other side.
See how pretty this turned out...  
Here is the close up of the clasp I made.  I worked out fairly well through trial and error.  I used a regular ole tiny hole punch to put holes in the leather.  I didn't even need to glue anything down.  I am not a heavy fan of using glue in jewelry, but I do if it is necessary.

UPDATED

I wanted to share another bracelet I made with my soup mix...  I really like how this one turned out even though it is quite simple.  Sometimes simple is the best way to go... 
This is the same necklace I put on a background graphic I got from GraphicsStock.  I used the beautiful green beads from my soup and some really pretty agate rocks from our local rock store...I really like the greens, blues and purples mixed in.  I made the claps from heavy gauge copper.  

Thanks once again Lori Anderson for this awesome Bead Soup Blog Party...  Please check out her blog to see the list of all the FANTASTIC jewelry designers... You dont want to miss out!


60 comments:

  1. I really love the second necklace and matching earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow....I love them all. especially the bracelet.
    Debb
    -YankeeBurrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bracelet is so pretty, all the bling... Thanks Debb... :-)

      Delete
  3. Chris - I Love all of the pieces that you made with your soup!! Your necklaces are beautiful and your bracelet is fabulous - love what you did with the vintage pendant!! It's been fun getting to know you and to be able to design with your amazing pendants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine... I love every bead and pendent and well...all of my mix...I still have more to make.. I will definitely post them once I finish them... HUGS.

      Delete
  4. Oh such fantastic detail and texture in your designs! The seed beads on the sari silk are divine! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi,,, appreciate your compliments...I had so much fun putting the pieces together...

      Delete
  5. Chris...beautiful designs...I love the flower in the bracelet...Blanca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blanca... that was my hardest piece to figure out what I was going to make with it...LOL

      Delete
  6. WOW, I just want to put all of it on in fabulous layers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne... I have worn the necklace to work and the ladies really liked it...the dangley one...I guess I can throw them all on at once...hmm...great idea!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous and I love that last bracelet! Oh my goodness I don't think I would EVER take it off!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sooo much. It turned out better than I had envisioned..

      Delete
  8. I LOVE all the pieces you made. I am especially in awe of that wonderful bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debi... I have never made a design like this with the layers. It was fun to watch it change as I put it together

      Delete
  9. Let me say that I don't see the issues you have with the first necklace, but it definitely doesn't have the ZING your other pieces have. Your lariat is frilly and full of life. It's beautiful. However, that bracelet is definitely more my style. . .I do love some buttons. ;)
    You did a wonderful job with your soup for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Thank you Hope... the problem I think is the wire...and I think I need some weight on the necklace...it is so light...LOL maybe its just me... I prefer to feel the necklace on my neck..hehehe.. the colors are great...the beads are great...but I want more.....THANKS...

      Delete
  10. LOVE the bracelets! And your earrings are so cute. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you used fabric, especially in the bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your work is beautiful and I especially love your use of fabric! The tiny seed beads sewn on are just a perfect adding :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great designs! I am totally in love with the second necklace. It has such a flow and has dangles to play with. The first one is great but doesn't have that extra spark the second one does.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful designs! I especially love what you created with your bracelet - love the idea of creating that clasp - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that bracelet looks awesome and easy to wear

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely! The bracelet is stunning! I like the way the you incorporated so many different techniques in each piece. Very inventive!

    Linda
    http://fromTheBeadBoard.blogspot.com
    http://cherryOnTopDesign.co

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent designs and pieces! Your soup came out marvelous! Thanks for joining and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I love your designs.. I like a lot the first necklace, and the green earrings too! But the bracelet is a knock out!!! on top of my faborit list.. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I love your designs.. I like a lot the first necklace, and the green earrings too! But the bracelet is a knock out!!! on top of my faborit list.. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous pieces, I really love them all. Especially I love your fabric work. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the necklaces. I especially like how you dressed up the silk in the first one and how it complements the pendant beautifully. I hope you include it in the re-make. The kumihimo with the silk is wonderful as are all the other details in the 2nd necklace. I've not used fabrics in anything yet, but you make me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How lovely, Christina! The colors .... hmhm so yummy, the designs.... hmhm - so unique creative! Love a lot of ideas from your soup: the sari silk with it's bead broidered, the kumihimo ribbon in the second necklace (saw a lot of kumihimo designs at this blog party - I'm thrilled about, have to try that), the way you stick those both chains together and all those bangles on the second necklace, the idea with the leather end on the sari silk bracelet...... Beautiful soup, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's all so beautiful!
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful and special jewellery... the different green colours and the browns are such a beautiful combination! Let's not forget the first necklace too♥♥♥ lots of details, everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your work is awesome. I love all the details you put in it, like the beaded sari silk knots or the big kumihimo rope, and the leather clasp...they are truly magnificent. And I admire you for being brave enough to remake a piece, it is so much more gorgeous now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love that you are continuing to create and share!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the way you knotted and beaded the sari silk in the first necklace. The changes you made were subtle, but do make it flow much more smoothly. Your lariat is awesome, and I love your use of fiber in that piece as well. The earrings are adorable too. I think the layered bracelets might be my favorite as well. The sari silk really softens all that bling and beautifully frames and showcases the vintage buttons. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Such beautiful things. I have to tell you my favorites are the green piece and the bracelet at the end. I would wear them here or there, I would wear them anywhere! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, my, such beauty! I love your pieces - I like the first necklace you made with Jeannie's pendant a little better than the second, but they are both lovely. And those bracelets that can be worn together or separate - brilliant! Everything you made is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Christina. The additions you made to the first necklace really give it life. The first version is flat looking. I agree that the second one is much better. I really like the lariat with the clasp in front. Good job. Your bracelet is very pretty. Great vintage button.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Im really drawn to the earth of your pieces. You do lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, wow! I really love the second necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thay are all so beautiful, love how you spice things up with beads!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the doubled up bracelet design. The fabric behind the buttons is perfect. All your designs are lovely, especially the little seed bead and woven bead accents on the first necklace. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like your style a LOT! The bracelet with the leather clasp is great. What a challenge that one would be for me. I also like the way you added seed beads to the sari silk. All of it..Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous! You are so inventive and creative with your designs! These are Soup-er coo!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Everything you made is so pretty & lovely. It was like a treasure hunt looking at your photos and reading your explanations. I can't pick a favorite because they are all special in their own way. I like how each piece comes across as organic in materials and design. Great use of your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Everything you made is so pretty & lovely. It was like a treasure hunt looking at your photos and reading your explanations. I can't pick a favorite because they are all special in their own way. I like how each piece comes across as organic in materials and design. Great use of your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love each piece of art you created, I love the kumi addition, I love the wire wrapping of the briolettes, I just simply love everything.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I lobe that beaded bead ! And the second to last bracelet is genius ! You really have a gift with colors, every piece just pops in just the right ways.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am glad I looked at the updated versions, they are spectacular! Although there was nothing "wrong" with the first one, I know that feeling when it just wasn't what you imagined or expected. The second version has that definite WOW factor, beautiful! I also like how you handled the bracelet, and can see why it was your most challenging. What a unique solution you came up with! I loved hearing about the process of your designs, thank you! Gina H

    ReplyDelete
  42. Christina, I love all the thought and consideration that went into your designs, and it shows in the finished product :) I believe these little details make the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  43. All the designs are great but I really love, and I mean love, that second necklace. It is so a style that would fit with my wardrobe and really update my style. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nice desigs I really like your updated versions very nice.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the seed beads on the sari silk knots and frankly, I kind of like both designs :) The beaded bead caps are unique! I love wire wrapping and the second necklace and earrings set became my favorite! The mixed media bracelet is a blast and with so many ingenious solutions! The last bracelet has a beautiful mixture of colors and shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Christina, I love all that you made, and I really liked your necklace (both before and after) featuring the pieces from JKD Studios. I've been admiring Jeanie's work for some time.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR STOPPIN BY!