I found these awesome beads at Beads On Main, its one of our local bead stores and she has some amazing stuff there...I also got the square link/connector which is beautiful!
I started to make the bead-work on the sides and didn't like how it was turning out, maybe 3 times I had to tear up the pieces I started to make. I ended up using the glass cylinder beads and just love how it finally fit into place.
Before I put the bead work on and tightened it all up to fit both sides nice and snug, I glued a nice peace of leather on the back side.
And finally the sari silk was the last thing I added. I made the J hook clasp and beaded up a little band around the wire which is wrapped around the silk that is looped around the end of the hook. Phew...that was a mouthful! Hehe
This is a better view of the pendent. You can see now where the word DRAGON is written and FLY, and the heart. Now, see if you can find my signature...LOL
Here is a close up of the clasp, simple and does a nice job! Its quite comfortable too. Its made with blackened steel wire and I sealed it with some really good spray..sorry, too lazy to go find the brand name...LOL I will get it later. :-)
Finally another cabochon I painted for this challenge but didnt have enough time to get it finished. I think this one turned out quite lovely. It is painted with watercolors and sealed with resin. It is still in the works and hope to finish it soon. I struggled a lot with this pendent. I am not all that experience at beadwork, I consider myself a beginner/intermediate beader. I wound up being a tad too loose once I got to beading the upper half, but I found a way to tighten it, and I am quite pleased with the finished work..
I am very happy to announce that I am FINISHED with the second dragonfly. I need to start naming my pieces. I think it would be great if I had the wits to come up with some fun names...but no..I just am not all that good at it...Hmmm...I think I need to call my BFF in NY.
Wow...are you feeling the love??? This dragonfly looks grumpy though, but when I had a nice close up picture, that is really what their faces look like...those frowns... Its hard to see in this picture, but the yellow beads I bought to match the body of the dragonfly. The yellow and black beads were mixed on the strand and I just knew they would match quite well. And those huge lavender beads...wow..to see them in person they are beautiful and add some magic to the dragonfly.
I went shopping the other day at Michaels, and found these great dragonfly pendents. I thought...hmmm..I might use this sometime, and they were on sale..which is always a benefit! I didnt know I was actually going to use the pendent in my design, but when I finished the beadwork, it looked a little naked still..so yea, the dragonfly looks really nice. I added some patina to kind of match the dragonfly painting.
I struggled some with the clasp...wasnt really wanting to make the J hook, but I did. I refused to go to the bead store one more time...cuz you know you cant just buy one thing there... So after I wrapped the wire around the fabric and leather...it still needed something to tie into the design...it was just too plain for me. Then, the flower spoke to me...and I put it all together and it was done.. Ahhhhh... The fabric, just so you know, came all the way from Ireland. When hubby and I went there several years ago, I saw this fabric in one of their side shops.. I love how it shimmers, and being that at the time I was making lots of mermaid dolls, I thought this would be a great piece to bring home. Funny thing is, I never used it to make any of my dolls yet..and that was probably...hmm...10 years ago now...maybe 8. It is a purple fabric with a blue shimmer, perfect match!
You can visit my flickr page to see all the photos I have taken of my designs
Thank you very much for stopping by and please take a peek at some of the other participants...