Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cabochon Blog Hop Reveal

I belong to this awesome group on Facebook and one of the members, Sally Russik, decided to put together a fun challenge making Cabochons. She put togethers these great tutorials on making cabochons if you needed a little extra help. I thought it would be great to go to the rock store which is where I found one of the cabs I made which you will see below. My other cab is this amazing hand made Tree of Life Lampwork Focal Bead made by Susan Lambert I had lots of fun putting both pieces together and I hope you like them too.

This cab I chose to do wire wrapping.  I felt is was best to have as much of the natural beauty show.  I am not all the experienced yet with the wire wrapping, but I think it turned out fairly nice.
I had the beautiful beads that I knew would match perfectly with this slice of agate.  The beads tend to change colors when under different lighting which makes adds even more interest to them.  I made a kumihimo rope for the back part of the necklace using sari silk.
To really see the agate, I took this picture holding it up to the sky.  See all the fun layers of color?

This is my second Cabochon...

Is this yummy or what?  I LOVE this.  It took me some time to make this one.  I wasnt sure at first what I wanted to do with this bead, I just knew I was going to do something fun.  It is still not complete, but I will get it done soon.  SO, the dangles at the bottom are supposed to be the roots.  I was thinking of using copper somehow and mix it in as the roots but that idea flew out of my head quickly once I found the right beads.  I love those tiny white beads, I think those are shells, but I am not 100% sure...but I had to have them.


After I finished the bead work on the cabochon, I wasnt sure what I was going to do for the necklace part.  So, I dug through some of the threads that I recently purchased and decided that the light pale sea foam green thread was going to do the job.  I didnt want the thread to be too dark.  I wan the tree to stand out the most from this necklace.  So I found the tutorial on the micro macrame and really liked this pattern.  I picked through my stash and found the beads I felt would really tie in together with the cab.  Its not totally what I imagined it would look like but I think it worked out just fine.  :-)

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my creations...please feel free to leave me a comment or two...and dont forget to check out ALL of the other designers creations.  I cant wait to see what everybody made.

THANKS SALLY!!!


Your Host:  Sally Russick
Alicia Marinache           
Lynn  Jobber           
Jenny Davies-Reazor           
Jo-Ann  Woolverton           
Marde Lowe           
Dawn Doucette           
Mary K McGraw           
Gloria Allen           

Cheri  Reed           
Sonya Stille           
Elizabeth Owens Dwy           
Veralynne   Malone           
Tania Hagen           
Lynsey  Brooks           
YOU ARE HERE -----> Christina Miles                                                
Holly  Westfall           
Kathy  Lindemer           
Patti Vanderbloemen           

Therese Frank           
Adrienne Berry           
Liz   E            
Tanty  Sri Hartanti           
Renetha Stanziano           
Marlene  Cupo           
Sandi Volpe           
Sharyl McMillian-Nelson           

Mischelle Fanucchi           
Tracy  Stillman           
Skylar Bre'z           
Ann Schroeder           
Jess Green           
Susan Kennedy           
Stacie  Florer           
Cathie  Carroll           
Susan F.       

Michelle Caballero       
Sabine Dittrich           
Kristina Johansson           
Kimberly Sturrup-Roberts           
Melissa  Meman           
Cheryl McCloud         
Michelle  Timms           
Cindy  Pack                    
Lynda  Carson        

Cynthia  Machata           
Julia  Harris           
Karin  Slaton      
Ingrid  Anderson           
Jasvanti  Patel         
Inge  von Roos         
Molly Alexander          
Toltec Jewels           
Jasvanti Patel           

41 comments:

  1. Both pieces are stunning but I really love that first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your agate slice is just beautiful - the copper weaving really makes it perfection! That is a GORGEOUS tree of life pendant! Your bead weaving sets it off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti, I have not done much wire wrapping so I really appreciate your complement on it. And yes, I love that tree of life pendent too!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful job! I especially like the tree cab. The way you added the pearls on the outside of your bezel really draw your eye out and complements the cab so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, I was lucky on finding those little beads. I need to go back to the bead store to buy the last strand. :-)

      Delete
  4. I am such a tree hugger so, it's no surprise that I'm really drawn to your tree of life necklace. The beadwork, choice of cab, and colors are all perfect.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Christina both of your pieces are so beautiful....you have done an awesome job on both cabs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy...I really enjoyed this challenge. I still have a few more cabs I want to make.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic designs - both pieces are beautifully done. I'm totally in awe of your Tree of Life piece - love the addition of green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a some time to find the beads I wanted for this bead. THANK YOU!

      Delete
  7. Both of your pieces are so fabulous. You picked some really great cabs to work with and set them off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are gorgeous! Great idea to go to the rock store! I'm going to do that too! And the beadwork is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you Sue. I love the rock store...and they have more stuff there now since the last time I went. My new favorite store...hehehe

      Delete
  9. Both are amazing. I can not imagine the work that went into the tree of life. Love the idea of the dangles representing the roots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had another plan for the roots, but then I found those fabulous tiny pearl type beads...they are really neat in person...they look more like shells with a variation in them. THANK YOU...

      Delete
  10. Love that you took a chance to two different styles! The copper and agate is just lovely. And I'm really taken with your beaded piece and how the intricate beading continues into the chain.

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda. I have another beautiful agate bead that is dyed in this amazing blue. Im hoping to do something with that one too. I still feel that I am in that LEARNING stage in the jewelry making world so I love to play with all type of different techniques..

      Delete
  11. Nice work! I love the horizontal crystal anchoring hte first pendant. But the Tree of Life is great! The details, the texture, theres a lot going on there, your color palette is a great unifying element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES...Jennifer, that crystal was calling me when I bought it. I kind of knew what I wanted to do with it, but once I started doing the wire work on the agate, it was a perfect match for it. THANK YOU Sooo much!

      Delete
  12. Your wire wrapping is wonderful. I love the Tree of Life focal, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful work! Both of your cabs are beautiful, and I love how you put together both necklaces - especially the horizontal crystal on the first one and those roots on the tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are both gorgeous but I adore the tree of life necklace, it is a beautiful example of wearable art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Tracy. I still need to finish the Tree of Life necklace.... I cant wait to wear it..LOL

      Delete
  15. Hi Christina,
    Both of your pieces are gorgeous and so different from each other. I like how you wire wrapped the agate slice so that it can show it's true translusent beauty. Your Tree of Life pendant is gorgeous I like how you imatated the dangles for the tree roots, and the neck strap compliments the pendant well.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Sooo much Therese. I am really loving the dyed agates.

      Delete
  16. Christina your jewelry is awesome.The tree of life pendant is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Christina, both pieces are fabulous, but the tree of life necklace has me captivated, beautifully done!!! I agree with Tracy, your pieces are every bit gorgeous wearable art!!! Thank you so much for taking part in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SALLY...loved this challenge. I cant wait to wear that necklace and show it off! LOL

      Delete
  18. I. Love the tree of life! I think I may need to try one of those some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS Cheryl. I hope the artist still has the beads...she had a few of them when I bought this one. And her shipping is fast...got my bead within 2 days of purchasing it. I was amazed at how beautiful it was when I got it.

      Delete
  19. It's rare for me to be so drawn to a piece of jewelry that I can imagine myself wearing it, but that was the case with the second necklace. It's phenomenal! I'm sure my dearest friend would feel the same way about your agate necklace. You are an amazing designer, and really hit this challenge out of the park. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, your comment means so much to me. I have not been making jewelry all that long..maybe 6 years, but most of my really creative stuff has been made while entering into challenges like this. I really appreciate your compliment..THANK YOU!

      Delete
  20. WOW- what an amazing amount of work.
    You must have the patience of a saint.

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful work. I love the tree of life one! I too am just learning so I am in awe of some of these designs! Great Job. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christina, I love your use of the quartz crystal with the agate slab. The energy of the entire necklace speaks to me. So great to meet you through the hop! I'm slow, but still hopping. :) Have a fantastic week!
    {Hugs!}
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like how so many people are using wire to wrap their cab! Each piece is unique and so beautiful. I really like the tree necklace/cab.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR STOPPIN BY!